First known as Library Hall, Maxwell Hall was designed by George W. Bunting in the fashionable Romanesque Revival style. Constructed in 1890, it was the second location for the Indiana University library housing 60,000 volumes in the main reading room. In 1896, electricity was added to the building so the library could offer evening hours. By 1907, enrollment had increased enough to force the library to move to Franklin Hall.
Maxwell Hall is located in the "Old Crescent" at Indiana University and now houses offices dedicated to undergraduate education.
More of the "Old Crescent"